Skrubb it Out

Monday, August 08, 2005

Learn to read in six syllables or less...

Books are the bomb. People say my generation doesn't read enough. I'd have to agree with them (who ever they happen to be). We don't! While a few primates in my "monkeysphere" of friends tend to break the mold when it comes to reading, most people I know or talk to seem to look down there noses at reading for themselves.

I guess we have busy schedules, work problems and - according to all the spam - errectile disfunctions and small breasts, but it amazes me how many people have such double standards for reading. A few of the parents that I work with when asked haven't actually read a book front to back in as long as they can remember, but they want their kids to read through 6.284 books a day and be smart to become doctors. What kind of example does that set?

As we get older we have responsibilities and changes in desires that lead to us working to hard to pay the bills, become work-a-holics, make the spouse happy, or what have you, and I understand that. But I'll be damned if some of the best books ever written are for us, the adults. I read the kids books when I was young, heck I still read them, but I can't really imagine how boring and uninteresting I would be if I didn't expose my mind and imagination to adult reading.

Now where did I put my copy of Highlights.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home