Skrubb it Out

Saturday, January 06, 2007

Smokers...

I've been reflecting on an incident that occured several weeks ago, but haven't formally blogged about. I have been unable to properly formulate or put words to an impression/thought I had, but as I don't want to lose that thought, I'll put down what I can.

I was driving home one day and as I pulled out onto the road home, there was a rather large amount of space between myself and the car in front of me (I'm gueesing about 100 yards). The road I'm on is rather busy in both directions at this time of day. I notice that at the road next to my place of business is a vehicle that wants to turn left (across my directions of travel). The driver has plenty of space and is clear from both directions, it's the perfect time to make his left yet he doesn't.

Instead of making the left, the guy had to light his cigarette. This bothers me. Smoking bothers me in its own right, but the fact that this guy was to busy trying to kill himself than take a left turn and get on with his life kind of stuck me as very odd.

Smoking is bad, m'kay. You'd have to be a complete and utter f*cking idiot not to get that little fact. Year's of study and empiricall evidence abound as to what smoking can do to the human body. There's no "maybe". There's no "not me". There's no "I'll only smoke a little it won't hurt". And it's not just bad for the smoker, it's bad for those of us around the smoker.

Now, I'm not one to tell someone else how to live their life. You want to smoke knock yourself out, but I sure as hell don't have to appreciate it or desire to be around you. That's me looking out for me. I have enough medical problems in my family to kill myself seven times over. I don't want to add lung cancer to them.

So anyway, back to my left turn smoker. I'm thinking about this guy and trying to get in his head. Of course I don't know this guy from Adam, but I start to think of all the little things this guy might be prioritizing behind lighting his one way ticket to death.

Ex. showing a bright smile to a neigbor; saying thanks to someone for helping him; being near the phone for when a friend needs someone to talk to; saying "I love you" to his wife; hugging his son/daughter

We all have vices that aren't healthy for us (mine is I eat to much). We are all controlled more by our psychosis than just about anything else. We're hurtful to both ourselve and others. We're uncaring and self-absorbed to some degree. How we made it this far along and survive in the world around us is just boggling. So take a moment the next time you bow to your vice and think about how it can really effect your world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home