Skrubb it Out

Monday, October 16, 2006

Bad PC guy...bad...

Apparently it's that time of year that I do something stupid with my PC. This year it was typing/clicking to fast while on a site I know I should be careful on (my usual bit torrent site). I didn't see it coming, I'm just looking at a collection of links, and I click on what I think is whitespace to my window gets focus and the scroll button will work. I guess it wasn't "whitespace" I clicked on. Before I knew it I heard about 17 to 20 clicks and the adware/spyware was already hard at work.

I froze for about 5 seconds with the "wtf" face then reached over to my router and yanked the WAN connection. I'm guessing the connection was live for about 15 to 20 seconds between when I "clicked" and when I cut the connection. This was plenty of time to d/l at least 5 major installers of addware (gotta love that 5 mb connection).

So I've spent the majority of evening uninstalling all my software. Next stage is to migrate my save games and other data files off the machine. Which should take about 6 hours of transfering (2 drives @ approx 80gb each). Hopefully that will be done before I go to bed and I can reinstall my os after work tomorrow.

So I hang my head in shame. I know I did it. I know I make fun of the people that do it. But when you're on the net or playing in the "dirty" side of life, you have to expect to get mugged every once in a while, right?

On an unrelated note: I freakin hate the weather channel. For whatever reason, at all the times of the day I want to get the weather forcast, with exception to pre-9 am, there some show on talking about weather patterns or events from years past. "Thanks, I really needed to see a 1 hour show on firefighters helping with the clean up of hurricane Katrina. I honestly didn't want to see what the weather was currently like in my area. Go ahead and put on a show about cows in tornadoes next." Silly bastards.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home