Skrubb it Out

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Successful Foodage...

For whatever odd reason, I wanted to putter in the kitchen last night. I made two dishes and I brought some to work today for a few people to try. Feedback has been really positive (though it could just be that everyone is afraid of me).

Dish 1: Skrubby Masherd Pertaters

1) 2.5 lbs. Yukon Gold potatoes cut into quarters, leave skin on, boil until fork tender
2) 1 to 1.5 cups Chicken Broth (the low sodium kind if you can) with some black pepper, thyme and parsley - bring to almost a rolling boil, basically want to get the temp to 200+ F
3) Add hot broth and 1/2 stick butter (I'm thinking this is to much butter, I'm going to try to cut back on this next time) to drained potatoes.
4) Mash until you get the consistency you want.

I've had one person that didn't touch these, but the other three people who have tried them love them and said they would replace their normal mashed potatoes with these. I like them because they are tasty, they don't require milk, and they are EASY TO MAKE!!!

Dish 2: Skrubberd Chiken Salerd

1) 2 large chicken breast cooked on the George Foreman type grill, cut into small pieces
2) 1 cup celery finely chopped, 3/4 cup bell pepper finely chopped, 1 heaping tablespoon minced garlic, 1 to 2 tablespoons evoo - sweat in a pan with some salt and thyme or other herbs you like
3) Add some lemon juice (about 1 tablespoon or so), some mayo (aprox. 1 cup), diced chicken, fresh ground pepper, and the sweated items into a bowl for mixing
4) Mix
5) Chill in the refrigerator overnight. Good with lightly toasted bread.

Two people raved about this, and the third said it was better than most. I was a little hesitant about the garlic (I actually don't like garlic at all), but I think it gives the whole thing a unique flavor. Again I find this to be REALLY easy to make. No fancy techniques required; minimal cost (the chicken is the most expensive); minimal hardware. Also could replace the chicken with crab meat and make a pretty tasty crab salad (which I did, but I haven't shared it with anyone yet).

If you happen to try either of these, let me know if you like or hate them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home