Skrubb it Out

Sunday, August 20, 2006

ON A PLAAAANNNNEEEE.....

Keep meaning to get around to this.....

On Aug 12th R&L called and invited me over to help celebrate (read "help drink all the beer") the graduation of L's brother from Bama. I didn't make it on time so by the time I arrived everyone present was thoroughly blasted. I drank some beer, sat on the deck (my favorite thing to do over there beside talk with R&L), and met a number of L's family members. The best part was that L's grandfather was present.

This guy is like 108 years old. He sat on the deck most of the night knocking back beer as if he were a different animal that could only extract oxygen from the bubbly contents of a good brewsky. He put all us youngins to shame. Somewhere around 1:30 or 2:00, he decides it's time to go to bed. He gets up, shakes my hand, and gives R a hug. During the hug (and it was one of those manly-over-a-handshake kind of hug) I hear this sound. A few minutes later, while R and I are just standing around, R looks over to me and says something to the effect of, "Was it me, or did he just fart when he hugged me?" I think I just about broke a funny bone laughing at that.

Took two days off work to go down to Mobile for another BJD Rib Extravaganza. Had a chance to hit the picklefish for old times sake on Thursday night (and visit Jan, which is always nice). The great Porter and I were up until sometime after 4am jamming on the 6 string. Spent most of the day Friday grinding working with MS Money and making a budget (thanks Mr. Porter!!) and had a visit with Dewitt. Saturday, I was back on the guitar and decided that I was so into practicing that I needed to bring the guitar to BJD to play. Porter decides that if I bring mine he must bring his and we have to play in public.

We get there early, hang out have a few beers. People show up, food is ready and we have a good time. It took me a long while to get the nerve up to break out the guitars, but finally I do around 9:30ish. Doug and I put on a little show to which Doug received two...that's right!!! TWO.... rounds applause (you go boy!!!)... for his solo performances. I was really nervous at first but after three or four songs, I calmed down and played pretty good for me. Bringing the guitars was a great idea in my opinion and I think Doug and I should start doing it more often. I know that I'll be bringing mine down to Mobile on every trip from now on.

After our concert (I called us "Doug and his trained Monkey"), Mr. Davis hooked us up with a private showing of "Snakes on a Plane". Free admission, free popcorn (garbage bag full), 12 people in the theater.......that man deserves mad props!

After returning to B'ham on Sunday, I immediately took a little trip to Gardendale to visit Monkey Boy. Found his apartment, it's about 30 to 40 minutes away depending on traffic. Had the chance to hang out a bit with him and made sure he was available as my heavy gunner for the potential beer-fest that may be at someone's house next weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home