Skrubb it Out

Thursday, August 18, 2005

We have baby's on racks....

Last night I was watching an episode of CSI on Spike and one of the main story threads started out about this dad who had forgotten his 6 month old son was in the back seat. Dad parks, locks the car and goes into work. Now this show is set in Las Vegas (i.e. the desert) and it's during the summertime. So needless to say, Jr. becomes a bacon cheeseburger.

Recently one of my best friends had a baby boy. And I've said on many occasions that my friend's son is as close to having my own child that I want to ever get. And while Jacob (the baby) is only a few weeks old, I love the little retard like true family. So here I am watching this show about some negligent parent causing the death of his kid, in what seemed like an accident and thinking about just how many ways are there for a parent to "accidentally" harm his/her child. Or how even I, as just a family friend, could hurt little J. The more I thought about the more I was thinking that I should really just stay away from Jacob until he was 16, which occurred to me as a good age in which it becomes difficult to royally screw up a kid.

It's weird to me to be sitting at home having no children and not planning on having any, yet to start worrying about all the problems in the world and how we might be able to protect Jacob from it all. And to be worrying about are we going to get him into a good college, how do we keep him away from drugs, and other such "parental" questions. Is this the point in my life where I suddenly realize that I'm missing out or not complete? And why do I suddenly consider myself part of the "we" that's going to raise him?

Another friend of mine recently told me that he felt it was time to move on in his life. Now this guy is younger than I am and, while I love him like a brother, I would consider him a hellion. But he felt this inner need to settle down, find a girl that he wanted to spend his life with and maybe start thinking about children. I assume this is some sort of natural desire for us humans to have, but I'm wondering if maybe I slept through it.

This world can be amazing and scary, and a lot of the time both at once. I feel I have to throw a shout out to the good parents and commend their bravery for taking on the world by having children. I'm sure as hell not that brave, at least not yet. As for CSI, it turns out that the baby's death wasn't an accident (like we didn't see that coming). Mommy and Daddy thought the kid had some terminal disease and left him in the car on purpose hoping to "spare" both him and them the life they had to lead. Heh, gotta love the human mind.

Baby, the other white meat....

1 Comments:

  • But you have to help show the kids how not to jam spoons in wallsockets. And not to eat the rocks or play in the yellow snow. Anyway how you doing. I still owe you a burger.

    By Blogger Lord Panzer, at 10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home