Skrubb it Out

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Avast ye lazies...

Two Fridays ago, I get a call from Big'J that the other developer in his department turned in his two week notice. Big'J's boss, let's call him K, then tracks me down and says he wants me as the replacement. SWEET!!!!!!! This was the job that I was originally trying to get a year ago. The following week (Mon-Thurs actually) K is out of town so we don't get much discussed. Friday, K is back in town early so we talk business and come to terms.

My company currently has a minimum two year placement policy unless you get your manager's permission. Basically, once you take a job, you can't apply for another job in the company for 24 months without your manager's approval. As I have been here for no longer than 11 months, I kinda need my bosses permission to change jobs/departments.

Diet Dr Pepper is pretty good.

Last Friday after I talk to K, I then make the trip to my boss's boss (let's call my boss B and her boss D). I tell D that there's this position I want and that it's good for my future. He then wants to discuss "why" the position is better for me than my current. After about an hour and a half, he seems to disagree with what is good for me but says, "I'm not in the business of holding people back. So, let me think about it for a bit." I, having no other choice, say okay. As I leave his (D's) office, my boss (B) comes stolling into D's office. Within 38 seconds, the door is closed and I know what they are talking about.

"I love lamp."

So K (my hopefully new boss) wants me to start work pretty darn quick, especially given the fact that I have exactly NO WORK to do in my current job. D & B however, seem to think I'm EXTREMELY busy and am indispensable to our product. BAH! WHATEVER! Now it appears that D & B won't make a decision, they want to pass the decision up to D's boss, our general manager.

"Lost" is new tonight.

Now I (and K) have to wait for another seven days (while I do nothing but surf the net during the day) to sit down and meet with the General Manager. I've never met this guy. I wouldn't know him from Adam, as the expression goes. But somehow, suddenly I am important enough for this guy to want to sit down with me in a week's time to talk about what I want to do in the company. Let's just ignore the fact that I've already told them what I want to do.

The moral of all this (and I didn't think I would ramble on about this particular topic) is that I'm in a very crappy mood and have been drinking beer all week. Now, on to other things....

My Tower Hobbies order cam in today. 12 paints from Tamiya for the ships I already have (each at about a 40-50% discount from MSRP), 1 700th scale waterline Bismarck produced by Trumpeter, a book on German Heavy Cruisers of WW2, and a book on German Battleships of WW2. The Trumpeter kit looks decent, but seems to be inferior in quality to the Tamiya ones. I haven't had examples of each kit side by side yet, so it may just be my imagination. All I'm waiting for now my copy of Basics of Ship Modeling by Mike Ashey before I begin the frustrating task of building the "Chase of the Bismarck" ships.

I still haven't brought the Skrubby Roger to the office yet, though I want to put it in my cube (wherever it may be). I don't really want to walk in at 8 am with 30 other people looking at my like I'm a complete and utter dork walking in with this stupid ship. Best idea I've had so far is to put the thing in a box (if I can find one big enough) and bring the box in, sans stares.

The tv show Scrubs, should be renamed to Skrubbs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home