Skrubb it Out

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Not weekend....but lazyend....

I've been pretty lazy this weekend (thus lazyend), but did manage to do a few things here and there. Most of Sunday was spent rearranging a few things around the apartment and cleaning up a bit. Irish Erin is coming to stay for two weeks (she should be here late tonight), so I'm both nervous and excited.

In ship news I've hit a big bump. First, I brought the Skrubby Roger up to work on Friday (I went in early) and put it on the little shelf in my cube. Most people are impressed by it. I think that just shows how hobby-lame some of the people I work with are. I started working on the HMS Hood. This was the first waterline kit (Tamiya) I bought and I'm pretty impressed with the detail in it. I started putting on the photoetched railings...........dear lord grant me patience!! The photoetched parts are REALLY REALLY small, like imagine parts smaller than a human hair. Yet, the parts I've added really look nice on the ship and make it look a lot more authentic.

I finished adding the main deck railings and started to work on the main conning tower (bridge). As I finished the first (of four) levels, I decided that I needed to paint this things as I build it. The pieces above will make it really hard to paint afterwards. To my horror I discovered that the Tamiya paints SUCK. First off, they are acrylic paints that I think use an alcohol base instead of a water base (means they STINK, as in smelly). Second, they don't coat worth a crap, I found that I had to do a 2:1 paint to thinner ratio to even get close to a usable paint (means I have to mix every batch of paint, which is a total pain in the patuie). As a result, I've packed them away and put in a replacement order to The WarStore, for about 20 Vallejo equivalents (Vallejo paints are the bomb-diggity yo!). So, I'm at a stopping point with the ships until my paint arrives. ,Side note: I hate BJD! I hope you (BJD) took a few pictures of that 1/72 ship at the D-Day museum. If not, I'm going to boycott 1 rib at the next rib party as punishment!)

I did switch gears and went back to my WARMACHINE models just to keep active. I finished the two Devouts I had about 80% completed. I also did a little more work on my 2 Protectorate warcasters (Adraza and Severous). I think I'm going to switch over and start working on my three Man-o-War Shocktroopers though.

Work is still in limbo, so no news as of yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home