Skrubb it Out

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Buh Bye Beyotches......

Buh Bye old job! Hello Crawfish and Ribs!! Today was my last day in the office working for bosses B & bosses D. Unsurprisingly all hell broke loose (and boss B just left around 10am, no PTO, no informing us, just left). The R&D dept. for my (old) product made the decision that for their 2006 release they would upgrade their database to MS SQL 2000. This might seem like a good idea, especially considering we were using Foxpro. However, what the geniuses thought was unimportant was actuall training for their developers and support staff on MS SQL 2000. But who cares if we have no clue how to do anything with the new system. Let's go ahead and install it on 9 different live environments for customers.

Well yesterday a customer called and said something is wrong. We dial in and find this 130 GIGABYTE ldf file. None of us has any idea what it is, so people start freaking out and calling other departments, the library, domino's pizza, and the Geek Squad all trying to figure out what this file is. Apparently these super brainiacs can't use google. So I get there, load up google, 20 seconds later I know what it is, why it's so large, and what we need to do to fix it. Now because the customer's HD is only 140 GB, we don't have enough space to do what we need to do. So they degrade our software from the 2k6 version to the 2k5 version (takes about 1 hour) then upgrade them back to 2k6 (4 hours). Had we caught this issue earlier (i.e. when we had sufficienty HD space), the degrade then upgrade could have been avoided.

Now I tell all three of my bosses that we are going to have problems with this particular feature, so it might be a good idea to go ahead and contact our other customers to fix the issue before it gets out of control. Did they listen? Do they ever? So 4pm rolls around, I start packing up my stuff to move, and all 8 remaining banks call just about at the same time and guess what? The transaction log files for SQL server are over 125 GB each, their systems are freaking out, and the only way we can fix it at this point is the degrade then upgrade option (5+ hours * 8 customers = 40 hours of work that we could have avoided if they could only have made a damn decision). Morons! Thank the Geeks that I'm out of there.

The SMS (SkrubbMS....get it? instead of HMS? gah!!!) Hood is complete. I finished her up last night around 7:30 then promptly fell asleep and didn't have a chance to post. I think she looks pretty nice, though nowhere near perfect. Having finished this prelim project, I have decided that while photoetched stuff looks awesome, I will NOT be suffering through it all again. So mad props to those people who do photoetch on the 700th scale!

My order from www.roocousa.com arrived today. The USS Hornet was apparently removed from my order (I guess she was backordered, I didn't get charged for her though so I don't really care too much) and the Scharnhorst was absent (I was charged for her though). In the Scharnhorst's place was the Tamiya Light Vessel Ordinance Set, which is not anywhere near the same thing. I called up the business, told them what happened and they said they'll mail me the right ship, BUT I have to mail them the Light Vessel Ordinance Set back. This thing cost a little over $6 to me, so I'm sure they paid like $3 or $4. What, they can't spot me a coupld bucks because they messed up? Now I have to shell out prorbably $6 to $10 bucks just to ship this stupid thing back to them. Bastages. I don't think I'll be ordering from them again (their in Miami so you can imagine what they sound like on the phone), even though they offer the models at a 35% discount. I think I'd rather pay www.TowerHobbies.com the extra few bucks to get better service.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home