Skrubb it Out

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Get your walk on.....

Work has been steady if not more towards busy the past week. It's so strange to actually have a job that I constantly have to work at. I've been spoiled the past six years. Being a professor was never this much constant work (though many would argue if it was work at all, but take my word for it, being a good teacher IS a lot harder than you think) and the last year at my other position (upstairs) never challeneged me this much. I'm finding that the current job is providing a great balance between the grunt work of development and the creative work. Once I master a particular system (file format, database, index record file format, whatever) there's usually another one on the horizon that I need to tackle. And in the rare times that there is not another to tackle right away, I get to spend some time improving on the things that I just wasn't quite smart enough to do right the first time.

I pretty much finished up the SMS Rodney this week. All the major painting is done, though there's a few spots that could use a little more love. I haven't attached the main super strucutre yet because as soon as I do, it won't fit in it's box anymore. I'm debating on which to start on next. I'm thinking either the Prince of Wales or the King George V (they are both very similar).

Big'J and I picked up a new game this week. It's called Titan Quest, and if you liked Diablo II you'll probably like it to. There are a few things that are missing, the two major ones at the moment are the stash and the closed battle'net style games. The multiplayer is strictly open (i.e. your character is stored on your HD so one can cheat if one chooses too), so there's not quite the total feel of what I would consider true multiplayer for this style game in our current age. One of the things I really do like about it though is the setting, Ancient Greece, Egypt and China. It's not a ful historically accurate interpretation, but you do get the feel of the time period. Monkey Boy also picked it up and plans to host our MP games.

Speaking of Monkey Boy, I was told by a little birdie that the Product Manager of the department MOnkey Boy interviewed for is supposed to be calling said Monkey with a job offer. I don't know if it will be the position here in B'ham or in the Cullman office, nor do I know if the job offer would be considered sufficient for the move. I'm just excited that there is a chance Moneky Boy will move to within an hour or so of me. Strange how life works out.

I never called the waitress who's number I acquired last week. I had made preliminary plans with her (i.e. let's go out Monday, I'll call you Friday with specifics) and then later that day, I busted her trading oral fluids with some guy. Needless to say I wasn't overly thrilled about the situtaion and just decided to not bother calling. Life is messed up sometimes.

I started walking this week. Yes, actually on purpose. I've been telling myself that I need to be more active because I come home from work (where I pretty much sit in a chair all day) and then sit around the house. I'm not ready for a marathon yet, but I've been walking about 1 mile every evening. It's not much, but 1 mile is better than me sitting on my fat butt. Right now I'm walking at about 2.5 mph and I make it back to the appartment sweating like a pig and breathing slightly hard. My short term goal is to get my speed up to at least 3 mph if not 3.5 and then start working towards 2 miles. I could probably make 1.5 miles now, but I'd never make it up the 1.5 flights of stairs into my apartment when I'm done.

Ok, time to log some Titan Quest!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home